9/23/14

Runaway Slave


My dream life is pretty active

Subtractive of true consciousness, my hopes and aspirations

Freely play epic adventures on my eyelids

Ventures into the unknown but in the home of my deepest heart thoughts

I see what would happen if I never took a first step

If I never soared into the upper echelon of my potential…

Apparently I’d be a slave says my latest mindplay.

Shackled down into an abyss of mediocrity

Bound to a sure ending

Preventing any movement beyond consuming scraps to fulfill an undying hunger to be fed by what I truly deserve

I’d be underserved and forever overachieving in a circle with my square-minded ideas

I would never fit.

Fear would strike further fear with each lash

Cracking obedience and submission into a person they wish to submerge

39 blows attempting to bleed me out

Blind to my unseen Lifesaver who remains above and around me

Omnipresent hope floating me along until I decide to swim upstream

This dream told me to Fight.

That confinement doesn’t combine with my passion to live beyond and in spite of…

Beyond mistakes

In spite of shortcomings

Beyond rejection

In spite of overthinking

Beyond continual beatings

In spite of repeating self-defeating phrases that it’s too hard

Beyond myself

In spite of MySelf.



I watched a fellow escapee jump to his death

And I’m wondering if this is the half of me subliminally that wants to give up

To surrender all efforts towards a seemingly unreachable freedom.

I considered ending the road I wasn’t done paving

Then bravely looked down at what could be

And mustered up enough resilience to do what should be

I took this journey alone with hesitance at my back

Resistance in the wind

And suspense in every corner as I hid and slid past my captors

Trappers ready with their nets investing in my stagnant future if I were ever caught.

I sought the sun to illuminate my lonely mood

As I pursued more and more, praying this trek would yield a harvest I’ve sewn seeds in long before I knew the purpose

A deluge of trouble rushed down rapids

Swelling vaster by the minute, aptly resembling my self-doubt

I swam against waves created to break my spirit

While a voice above continued to bellow to me “You were made for more”

With this encouragement nourishing my thirst

I burst through a new realm of understanding who I am

What I am to do with this freedom

A world of roads, forks, paths and traps lie ahead of me yet

I feel there is a beat always ordering my march

A tempo that won’t let me slow down

My Creator knew what I’d be doing before the brewings of my imagination surfaced

So the freedom is in the discovery of who I’ve been this whole time

And just didn’t know.

These shackles have been shades over a life meant to be brighter

My dark thoughts colored my hope into an opaque vision that I was stuck

Not trusting the doorknob just inches outside of my reach

The power is Mine!

The Holy Spirit remains a divine presence I don’t often tap into

And that…is an enslaved life.

A lack of knowledge to the Light I have been given if I simply reach UP and receive.

Cleave to the power that’s been within me and will be for the eternity of my existence

He is guiding me

Restoring me

Imploring me to continue to move Upward and Onward

These steps get hard but they ARE for me

Breaking down my pride with each stride into the unknown

Oh, I know I’m being carried

Lifted when my legs beg for solace, rest, just a Break Lord

But He knows I can handle it

Philippians 4:13 seems to whisper to me when I feel I’ve lost my voice

When my chords are singed from my burning cries out into the night

He hears me…

He steers me when my hands shield my eyes from what’s coming next.


What would I do if I’d been through nothing at all?

If I didn’t haul my troubles to the alter call and release them

My appreciation of blessings would be diminished

Finishing off entitlement with a seal of ignorance that I’m immune to pain

So, He sandpapered me to my core

Forcing me to examine the vermin determined to keep me from growing

Eating me alive with each doubt and worry I didn’t hand to Him

The scraps made me savor the flavor of wonderful Grace

My cold nakedness made me bask in the warmth of His Mercy

The fear of being lynched kept me on my toes with Him holding me up

Pushing me to break beyond my sight, even through tears

All of these trials were necessary for me to claim victory

And oh, how joyous it is to finally escape into His arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment